Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The cup of coffee


A few days ago, I walked into the Egg & I breakfast restaurant wearing my wings, and went straight through to the back where I could tell was a conference room. There were 2 business ladies in there, and it appeared they were packing up to leave. I was just arriving for what I thought was a SendOutCards meeting that I'd been invited to.

Turns out, I had looked at my planner wrong, and showed up a day early!! The ladies said they were about to have a meeting there, but not for SendOutCards, but their other attendees had decided to go elsewhere for their meeting so they were headed out.

I had driven across town for this meeting that I thought was that morning, so I figured that I would sit down and at least enjoy a cup of coffee while I figured out what to do next.

My waitress took my coffee order, and I couldn't help but notice how sad she appeared to be and act. I asked her if she was supposed to have been the waitress taking care of the big meeting in the conference room, and she said yes, but they'd cancelled using the room. I asked her if she was working the next day for the SendOutCards meeting, but she said no. I thought that maybe a reason she seemed down was because she'd basically lost out on that money in tips she was hoping to earn from the large group meeting.

My heart went out to her. I was sitting there thinking about how God had really been blessing me recently, despite my own personal hardships and struggles going on. Something told me to leave her a $20 bill as a tip. All I'd ordered was coffee.

I paid my tab with a credit card, and hid the $20 bill behind my business card for her to find. I wrote a little message on the business card that God had blessed me lately, so I wanted to bless her.

When she returned to give me my receipt, her demeanor had completely changed. A once sullen, sad woman had become revived with gratitude and joy from the little surprise and was walking around with a smile. She thanked me.

It was the best cup of coffee purchase I'd ever made. :)

Have you ever heard that phrase that giving to others returns 10 fold? Well, today my friend showed up to visit me while I was packing boxes, and he surprised me by handing me $200 to donate towards my next trip to Los Angeles to continue my Angel messages there. I had a surprise blessing come to me out of the blue!

Go forth and look for ways to help others. Have gratitude for the things you have and more will come.

~Mandelyn Reese
The LA Street Angel
4/29/14

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this.
    Years ago I was covering an LPGA tournament in Indianapolis. In the media room I spotted a roll of money in a corner, picked it up nd discovered $89 dollars with a rubber band around the roll.
    At the time money was tight for me, but I showed my find to the woman in charge of the media room and told her to give my contact information to anyone who reported they had lost money.
    A young man called me that evening to tell me he was a college student who had volunteered to help with the tournament and that money was all he had to get him through the weekend.
    We agreed to meet the next morning so I could return him money. We did and he was very thankful.
    Later that day, out on the course, lying right out in the open, with nobody in sight, was a $20 bill. There was no possible way to trace where that bill had come from so I decided it was for me.
    When we do what we should, good things happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww that's awesome Mark! Thank you for sharing your story. That $20 you found was definitely a little reward from Heaven for doing the right thing! Keep it up! :)

      Delete