Saturday, June 29, 2013

Bravery and Mace

Back when I was a freshman in college, my mom convinced me to be a live-in nanny for one of her friend's kids: a 15 year old boy (Josh*) and a 14 year old girl. I'd get to live in their nice big 2-story house with pay while their mother lived in Los Angeles (how ironic) to work. I'm not sure why I agreed to this fiasco, but I did.

So I became a 19-year old nanny to two teens that lacked parental support, all while I was in college full time and carried a second part-time job. Somehow I managed and still made the honors list and Dean's List every semester!

The teenage boy, Josh, began to run with a sketchy crowd. One time I came home from school and was shocked to find a bunch of older looking gangster guys in our living room! I didn't like that at all.

One day, I was upstairs in my room, and I heard talking outside. I looked out my window and saw Josh with one of his nice neighborhood friends out on the driveway discussing smoking a joint that he had in his hand. (LOL, busted!)

Suddenly, out of the blue, a red car came speeding up to the driveway, and a tall black kid jumped out of the passenger side of the car and just starting beating on Josh! I was like "HOLY SH!T!!"
I went into like this robot mode where I ran to my purse, got my mace, concealed it in my hand, ran downstairs, and shot out the front door. I didn't even have my shoes on.

Once I got out the door, I didn't want to appear threatening by running up on the scene, (not that a tiny 100-pound blonde is very threatening to a tall thug) so I carefully walked up to them. The thug had stopped pounding Josh and was instead yelling in his face about "Talking sh!t about him" and Josh was sobbing that he didn't know what the thug was talking about. His face was all red and welted from the beating.

I walked up and stood next to them, closer than I wanted to be, but somehow I had balls of steel in that moment.

I could tell the thug was getting ready to throw another punch, so I acted:
I put the mace right up to his eyeball and let him have it!!

He flew the coup. He was running all over the street holding his face and screeching like a little girl finding Easter eggs. There were two other guys in the car, and I heard one of them yell out, "GET THAT BITCH!"
I grabbed Josh, hauled his ass into the house, and locked the door. Moments later, we heard a loud crashing sound: the thug had thrown a brick through the front glass door. It was terrifying.

We called 911 and filed a whole report. The cops looked impressed as I recounted what happened. We packed up some stuff and all spent the night at my Dad's house in fear of retaliation from the group of thugs.

Upon a follow-up meeting with a detective, where I had to pick out the perp from a lineup, I was told that the thug I had maced had been expelled from his school for carrying a gun!

A few nights later, I was home alone and expecting a visit from my boyfriend any minute. The doorbell rang, and I just opened the door thinking it was my boyfriend, and I was face-to-face with the thug I had maced. Chills went all through my body and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up, as I was immediately panic stricken. "You pressin' charges against me?!" he asked. I kept my cool and straight up lied to him, saying no, we were letting it go. His demeanor changed, and he said he was sorry and left. I swear I think angels were watching over me for not only the original attack, but that late-night visit too.

That incident ended the nanny job. The mother came back from LA to pack up her kids and get them out of that school & neighborhood. Good thing she did, because our sweet next-door neighbor lady who made us food sometimes was MURDERED by one of the neighborhood thugs in an awful way just a few days after we moved out. She was robbed, beaten, stabbed, strangled, and her home partially set on fire. I saw it on the news and was horrified; she was such a kind woman.

Lessons: *Mace is a handy thing to have in a crisis! *ALWAYS check before answering the door!!

~Mandelyn Reese
6/29/13

No comments:

Post a Comment