Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Grocery Store Day of Giving and Gratitude

How profound a simple trip to the grocery store can be...

Today I decided to make a short trip to the grocery store for just a few things. When I was walking towards the grocery store, I noticed a woman sitting on the ground near the entrance holding her toddler daughter and a sign saying she was homeless and hungry. I saw several people pass right by her without even taking notice. I just took a class recently that instilled the phrase in my brain "As I give, so may I grow" and that phrase whispered to me. I dug through my purse and handed her $10; she looked so grateful and told me "Thank you, God Bless you". As I was inside the store, I passed a woman in a wheelchair who required a nurse assistant to push her around to help her with groceries. As I was leaving, a man was walking around with a gas can and said he just needed about $1 more for gas. I gave him $2 just to be safe. He too, smiled so huge and said "Thank you God Bless!" So many people in need. When I got home and finished putting away my groceries, I sat down and just began to cry and give thanks for so many things. I'm thankful that I can afford to have a car and afford to put gas in it. I'm thankful I have my eyesight and all my limbs to be able to drive and walk to just do daily activities like going to buy groceries and put them away. I'm thankful I have a place to live and food to eat, and means to afford those things. I may not have a lot of money, but I have enough and all my needs met, and enough to spare to help others in small capacities.

Give thanks daily, be grateful for what you have. So many people have so much less.
Look for ways to help others.

~Mandelyn Reese
The LA Street Angel
9/25/13


2 comments: